January 11, 2011

WEAR YOUR STARS AND STRIPES -

PATRIOTISM IS SO HAUTE.

SAINT FRANCIS HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE 1996 -
DESPITE POPULAR ASSUMPTION, NO, I WAS NOT RUNNING FOR OFFICE.
My family and close friends will tell you, I was a patriotic lass back in the day. My high school portrait involved me, in a navy suit (Calvin Klein, of course) and a gavel with an American flag proudly displayed as backdrop. Dork? Maybe (okay, definitely), but at least I had conviction. America is the land of the free and even at the ripe old age of 18, I was proud to show the love. Despite my patriotic tendencies, I rarely dressed in my stars and stripes. I think it was largely due to the fact that the majority of people actually wearing the flag, were usually also drinking Coors Light and hanging by the river. Or, maybe visions of Sarah Palin in a stars and stripes bikini with rifle had become all too familiar? 


WOW. DID SHE REALLY RUN FOR VP OF OUR COUNTRY? 
Whatever the reason, my excuses are now out the window. American flag fashion is bringing it big time.
I'm obsessed with Balmain's Spring 2011 collection and their spin on Americana chic. Drapey, ripped and vintage-inspired, these tanks are amazing.
BALMAIN SPRING 2011

BALMAIN SPRING 2011
MOSCHINO SPRING 2011 -
LOVE THE AUDACITY OF THESE STRIPES.
Spring 2011 is prothtesizing all sorts of red, white and blue glory... literally. We're not just talking about a color theme here. No. Think American flag sequin pants.

MARINA DIAMANDIS AT THE MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL IN AUSTRALIA
PLEASE NOTICE THE LARGE FELT HAMBURGER AS AN ACCESSORY. AMERICANA AT ITS BEST.
You don't even have to be American. Balmain, Moschino, Gucci, they're all dressing up in red, white and blue stars and stripes without a green card. It might be the novelty of displaying another country's flag or perhaps it's the irony behind the message. You know, the one that smiles in the face of a history of wrongdoing delivered by the good ole U.S. of A. Or, perhaps I'm overanalyzing and the true message behind the patriotic apparel, is one of aesthetic appeal. And with a compilation of stripes and stars, how can you go wrong stylistically? Okay, maybe that's a stretch. Regardless of the reason, USA flag fashion is haute and what better way to show our support for our country that is being brought down by a bellowing abyss of an economy than to wear our domestic pride? Go USA!!

- sister

No comments:

Post a Comment