February 18, 2011

ON A WING AND A PRAYER:

ST. JOHN TAKES ME THERE.

ST. JOHN LIVE SHOW DEBUTING FALL 2011 AT THEIR 5TH AVE SHOWROOM


My stepgrandmother, Jerry, used to wear St. John Knit often and with a sort of fashion fervor and grace that made me curious. As I grew older and learned more about fashion in general, it became glaringly obvious to me that SJK though perfect for my 60 year old stepgrandmother, was a line for the more sophisticated lady (ie. longer in the tooth) and so I tended to steer clear of those racks. Until now.

SJK HOUNDSTOOTH KNIT JACKET WITH BELT, $1595 AT NEIMAN MARCUS
I have found time and time again in recent months that while perusing racks at Neiman's or Nordstrom or the never ending virtual racks in cyber space, that my eyes are often drawn to the newest designs of SJK. Could it be that I'm getting older and so my taste is growing more conservative? Or, could it be that SJK is doing a damn good job of making their pieces translate into a youthful aesthetic? I like to think the latter and here's why...

PERFECT FALL ENSEMBLE. 


SJK just previewed a live show of its Fall 2011 collection at New York Fashion week at their New York Showroom on Fifth Avenue and it was stunning. By stunning I mean, exquisite and perfect in knit, cashmere or merino wool or perhaps a mix of both, as they're already known to do so well. But, also perfect in a sense of understanding that I'm 32 and still desperately trying to be sexy AND sophisticated. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive, right? SJK has successfully fulfilled that need.

IS IT A TRENCH OR A DRESS? YOU BE THE JUDGE.

ONE PIECE ROMPER WITH SASH BELT. ONE WORD - MAGNIFIQUE!

I love that they still own the market on the perfect white slack and that their pant suits are so well proportioned that just about any woman of any size could wear them and feel good about themselves. I also love, however, that they are now easily brought to life as separates and that not every single item labeled SJK must go with another item labeled SJK. Beautifully made and clearly well-versed in tailoring and timeless design, SJK could truly take a turn into this fashionista's closet and stay for a while.

SJK NAVY BOUCLE BLAZER WITH GOLD BUTTONS, $1,295 AT NORDSTROM
Sure, some of it is still... well... kind of old(er), but anyone who has been around as long as SJK surely has this problem. Look at Armani or DVF or even Ralph Lauren! We could all take a cue or two from those that have been around the block a few times. Sophistication is earned and not a birthright, after all.

 - sister

No comments:

Post a Comment